"Oh Pun!" says...uh, me.

[This space reserved for something creative. It may be awhile.]

January 18, 2007

All In The Numbers - Running Edition

240. 90. 12 1/2. 310. 100. 5. 13. 34:44. 30:00. 97.

$240 - The price I paid at Target for my new Garmin Forerunner 205, a "GPS-enabled trainer for runners". Probably a bit fancier than I need, it can upload running history to a computer program, and download some running programs from the Garmin website. Excellent gadget, if not a bit frustrating as it takes an inordinate amount of time to locate a strong enough satellite signal to begin my run. I may have to cut down a few of the tall trees bordering the front sidewalk.

$90 - The price I paid at Track Shack for my new Asic Gel running shoes. They are made for those who over-pronate. That would be me. Extremely comfortable; I wish all of my shoes felt as good.

12 1/2 - The size of the Asic Gel shoes. Do all running shoes have a smaller size scale? My dress shoes are size 11 1/2, other sneakers are 12. This makes me feel more virile. Size does matter.

310 - My goal for total miles run during 2007. Why not 300? Good segue...

100 - The number of practice 5K (3.1 miles) runs I'll need to complete during the year to reach my miles goal. That breaks down to about two such runs per week. Certainly not unrealistic, if I stay with it all year.

5 - How many 5K races I plan to compete in this year. Right now it looks like the IOA Corporate 5K (for which I was team captain for my firm last year - 26 participants(!)) in April will be the first.

13 - The number of pounds I want to lose by my trip to Las Vegas with friends from work. This will be the second annual such trip, and I don't want to weigh more than 225 pounds, unless of course I put on muscle mass.

34:44 - My 5K practice run time last night, the first night I've run this year. My average cost per run is now $330.

30:00 - The 5K time I plan to beat by the end of this year, in an actual race. I've done it, but on a treadmill only. My best time in an actual race is about 30:30.

97 - Days left until Vegas, Baby! This has created a convenient 100-day plan for me to improve my physical condition (with two days of procrastination built in).

3 Comments:

  • At 10:31 AM, January 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you! I think that specific goals are more productive than process goals, though for myself I'm still in the process goal stage (exercise more, eat better, lose weight, establishing new year's resolutions).

    Strictly for comparison sake, I'll my list specific numbers and goals (the latter if I actually come up with any):

    All In The Numbers - Walking/Exercise/Sports Edition

    52, 1, 0 & 0, 9 1/2, 1, 1, 3, 20, 0, 0, 1, 30, under 90, 169, 20, 1, 10:27.

    $52 - The price I paid this fall for a pair of tennis sneakers ($29), responding to an open invitation to play tennis here on Sunday mornings, a racket for $19 (yes, Walmarts) and $4 for balls.

    1 - the number of times I've actually worn the tennis sneakers. Well, two if you count the time I tried them on at the store. The once was when I couldn't readily locate my old walking sneakers.

    $0 & 0 - the amount I paid for my step-counter, which was a promotional item from the hospital, and the number of times I've put it on me.

    9 1/2 - The size of the tennis sneakers. Yes, same here, they are 1/2 size larger than my dress shoe size. Does that make me feel more virile? Not especially.

    1 - The number of miles in one lap around the development.

    1 - the number of times I've walked around the development this week.

    3 - the number of pieces of exercise equipment in the spare bedroom.

    20, more or less - the number of steps from various places in the house to the pieces of exercise equipment in the spare bedroom.

    0 - number of times I've been on any exercise machines, here or at the clubhouse, in 2007.

    0 -Number of times projected to be on those same machinges in all of 2007. Heck, it's a simple multiplier, and not entirely unrealistic, if I stay with it all year.

    1 - The number of golf leagues I've joined in the past 24 hours.

    30 - the number of golf rounds I'd expect to play in 2007, the most ever for me.

    Under 90 - My conservative goal for a golf score this year.

    $169 - the amount I spent, using a gift certifcate, for a new super-duper putter with two white balls and a center shaft. Thinking size didn't matter much, I went for a 34" model.

    20 - The number of pounds I have to (should) lose to feel better, not to mention keeping my health. The fact that my only two injuries have been golf-related does not suggest that they will be others..

    1 - The number of days left before I start to improve my physical condition. (with 1 day of procrastination built in).

    10:27 - the time I finished typing this, in the a.m.

     
  • At 10:46 PM, January 19, 2007, Blogger Dagrims said…

    I like your comments, but too many 1s and 0s on the list.

    I ran again tonight and cut nearly three minutes off my 5K time from Wednesday, finishing in 31:44. This gave me a lot of confidence that I'll be able to break the 30-minute mark this year.

     
  • At 10:47 PM, January 19, 2007, Blogger Dagrims said…

    Oh, and my submission for the "taken out of context" blog:

    "two white balls and a center shaft. Thinking size didn't matter much..."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home