"Oh Pun!" says...uh, me.

[This space reserved for something creative. It may be awhile.]

January 15, 2007

Travel Books

While the collection of travel books I've read in large part begins and ends with the works of Bill Bryson, the genre is interesting to me. I enjoy reading about places which I'd love to visit, or may never visit. I recently stumbled upon this list of what a site called World Hum has chosen as the best thirty travel books of all-time. I was pleased to see Bryson's In a Sunburned Country, describing his travels to Australia, on the list as well as Peter Hessler's River Town, which chronicled his stint as an English teacher in the city of Fuling, China, where my daughter was born. The fact that those two are rated so highly make me want to read more of the books on the list. #1 is Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger. I've heard of neither the book nor the author, but now I'm curious.

Have you read any of the books listed?

3 Comments:

  • At 10:05 PM, January 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, thanks for the link and the list. I also use that reading to supplement where I have been with where I haven't. I thought I had read quite alot of travel books and essays (more Bryson, Kuralt, Heat-Moon for a few), and am surprised that a number of them weren't on the list. Obviously there are many more good travel books out there than I had thought. I've only read two of the books listed, but after glancing at the reviews of each book, I'll be adding some to my list.
    Thanks once again.

     
  • At 10:24 PM, January 25, 2007, Blogger Merge Divide said…

    I've read Hunting

    Jonathan Raban, "Hunting Mr. Heartbreak"

    Tim Cahill, "Road Fever"

    and

    John Steinbeck, "Travels With Charley"

    Although I enjoy all three of these authors, I can't really say I remember much about these specific works.

     
  • At 10:29 PM, January 25, 2007, Blogger Merge Divide said…

    Oh yes...

    and Tony Horwitz, "Baghdad Without a Map"

    Which I can recommend without reservations.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home